If you wan’t to have your own VPN server on inexpensive VPS server, to protect your communication this is tutorial for you.
What you will get:
VPS server with SoftEther VPN server on it, configured to allow VPN connections from your laptop.
- Get some cheap VPS Server like this https://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-ssd.xmlYou can choose Ubuntu with Docker during install or use some bare ubuntu and install Docker later.
- Get Docker events on second SSH session. If you connect to your VPS using putty open second connection to your VPS. Run:
This way you will see on this second SSH session what is going on in docker.
- Follow instructions on https://github.com/cnf/docker-softether:docker pull frosquin/softetherI prefer to use external config file like this:
docker run -d -v /etc/vpnserver/vpn_server.config:/usr/local/vpnserver/vpn_server.config –net host –name softether frosquin/softether
Then run your container:docker start softetherCopy config file from docker container into your „local” directory:
docker exec -t -i softether cat /usr/local/vpnserver/vpn_server.config >> /etc/vpnserver/vpn_server.config
Restart your container:
docker restart softether
If you want you can get softether server bash session:
docker exec -t -i softether /bin/bash
- Connect with vpn server command line interface (look at https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manual/6._Command_Line_Management_Utility_Manual/6.2_General_Usage_of_vpncmd for reference).Run this:
docker exec -t -i softether /usr/local/vpnserver/vpncmd
It will connect you to vpn server command line interface.
Choose option 1 „Management of VPN Server or VPN Bridge”
When it asks „Hostname of IP Address of Destination” press ENTER
When it asks „Specify Virtual Hub Name” type: DEFAULT
Your prompt should look like:
- Create new user:
It will ask you for username, full name, group (leave blank if you will not manage some groups of users) and password.
- Download and install SoftEther VPN Client for windows (or follow some instructions for your operating system) from https://www.softether.org/5-download
- Create new network interface and that configure connection. Type your VPS IP address as hostname. Type in user name and password.
- Connect and it should work just fine.
Configure L2TP (not tested – work in progress)
If you wan’t to try to configure L2TP server type in
in vpncmd and follow „wizard”.
Then follow instructions on configuring windows connection https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howto/9.L2TPIPsec_Setup_Guide_for_SoftEther_VPN_Server/4.Windows_L2TP_Client_Setup
I don’t know why this configuration doesn’t work for me. Maybe you will have more luck. I will update on it, when I will be able to fix it.